Friday, July 17, 2009

Pizza Joes

I was not a fan of sloppy joes growing up and have only eaten them maybe a handful of times in my adult life. But while reading the August / September 2009 Healthy Cooking Magazine I came across something called PIZZA JOES. The recipe seemed easy enough and sounded tasty:

1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 jar (14oz) pizza sauce
3 oz sliced turkey (about 50 slices) chopped
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 dried oregano
6 hamburger buns
6 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese

In a large skillet cook the beef, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, drain if necessary. Stir in pizza sauce, pepperoni and herbs, bring to a boil. Reduce heat cover and simmer.

Spoon 2/3 cup beef mixture onto each bun sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 inches from the heat for 1 min until cheese is melted. Replace tops

1 sandwich equals
329 calories
11 g fat
59 mg cholesterol
825 mg sodium
29 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
26 g protein

****to reduce some of these numbers i omitted the pepperoni as it is high in sodium. I used onion powder and no peppers (i had no peppers on hand). I scooped the inside of the bread out before placing the mixture in their to create a pocket of sorts and it worked wonderful. I used my toaster oven to broil

No comments: